It's been a busy weekend again with a big family get together which was great fun. I have found a few minutes here and there to get going on the Joseph's Coat quilt along. I've cut out and prepared 20 petals for applique. The photo shows them arranged on the paper layout guide I drew first. I've decided to use blue on white and found a reasonable number of fabrics in my stash. I've also ordered a layer cake of blue Kaffe Fassett fabrics for more variety from the Cotton Patch in Birmingham.
I bought the recommended soluble, iron-on interfacing from the Lords Sewing Centre and it seems to be doing the job. You fuse the petal shape cut from interfacing onto the wrong side of the fabric then glue the seem allowance down with a glue stick. The brilliant thing about using this interfacing is that you don't have to remove it - it will wash out when the quilt is completed! You can see the detailed instructions with photos on Don't Look Now.
I've decided I really can't see me having time to hand applique the shapes (for 49 blocks!) so I'm going to try using Dawn Cameron-Dick's invisible machine applique technique. I'll let you know how I get on later in the week.