Thursday, 3 September 2009
Clarice Cliffe Quilt
I have actually been doing some City and Guilds work today - I can't put it off any longer! I have finished the sewing but to complete the course there is a lot of paperwork to do. I have to put the finishing touches to my quilt history section, and complete a book for each of my final pieces on how they were developed. You are really supposed to document the development first then make the item. I found I had a pretty clear idea of what I wanted to do and resented having to draw, paint and write about my ideas. I just wanted to get on with the making!
The above quilt measures 12" square which was the maximum size allowed for one of the pieces.The starting point for this was a Clarice Cliffe jug with brightly coloured geometric designs. I drew blocks in EQ6 the played with different arrangements and colours. I'm happy with the design but not with the execution. I decided to make it with my hand dyed silk as the colours were so bright. It was paper pieced on dissolvable paper. Unfortunately when I removed the paper the patches all shifted and skewed and I couldn't get it to press very neatly. The quilting was a nightmare! I have no intention of ever again making anything so complex in miniature size. I would like to make it again in a decent size and using cotton fabric!