Sunday 13 May 2012

Red, White and Blue


Yesterday I took advantage of a Tuesday Quilters 'Saturday Sew-In' to do some simple piecing on a red, white and blue theme. The group is having a Jubilee Party at the end of the month so what better way to mark the occasion than a quilt!

I happened to have a 'Nautical and Nice' charm pack in my stash and bought a couple of metres of toning red and blue fabrics the other day when I called in at Helen's Houses near Doncaster. I used an ivory tone on tone cut into 5" squares on my Accuquilt Go! and in no time had sewn 80 HST (half square triangles) units. After trimming these down slightly to 4 1/2" square I changed my original plan of a zig-zag layout to making these pretty pinwheels. I got 14 of these sewn together so only another 6 to go - not bad for a day's work and soooo satisfying! I think I'll add a narrow sashing to make the pinwheels float on the background as they remind me of the bunting that's appearing everywhere at the moment. 

Today is the Patchwork People quilt show in Garforth near Leeds so I'll be treating myself to an hour or two of quilt envy followed hopefully by more stitching - a perfect Sunday. Come along if you live nearby:

Patchwork People First Quilt Show


Sunday 13th May 2012 Raffle in aid of Barnardo's and Revival Orphanage, Uganda. Sales tables and Bag Tombola
10am - 4pm Entry £3 including tea and cake, (accompanied children under 16 free) For more information contact Thelma Conquest on 01132864897 Email: patchworkpeople@hotmail.com

Miners’ Welfare Hall, Main Street Garforth West Yorkshire LS25 1AA


Happy Sunday stitching!

Hazel

2 comments:

  1. So simple but really effective. I hope you enjoy your day at Garforth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What pretty blocks.

    I wish I could go to the exhibition, but it's rather a long way to go for a couple of hours.

    ReplyDelete