Monday 11 January 2010

One Quilt Leads to Another!


My woven quilt sample

It started withsome paper weaving at college before Christmas and then Anne-Marie made some wonderful sample quilts using fabric weaving. She'd used techniques from this book:

 

I went home and put it on my wish list and Santa duly delivered it on Christmas morning. On Friday evening I decided to have a go. The result was the sample above which I was really thrilled with. I decided to use the technique in a slightly larger quilt so set about weaving some more! Here is my progress so far:



I made a larger panel of weaving and cut it into sections to surround the acorn applique. The acorn pattern came from 'You Can Make This'. This morning when I looked at it again I decided it needs something in the corners so I'm now cutting out oak leaves. I'm just making it up as I go along and it's great fun!

8 comments:

  1. it is looking fabulous. i love the look of this technique, and the colours looks lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weaving looks great! I might have to give that a go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a really nice technique. I will have to see if our libraries have that book, would be fun to try.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both quilts look great. Now, when I grow up please can I be as clever as you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen one before that is really cool. And I love acorns, very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great

    Love and hugs Gina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The woven quilt looks great - I have my sample prepared but not sewn. Did you use bondaweb or iron on vilene. She says to use bondaweb in the book but I thought the doubling up of the bondaweb when you wove it would make the quilt too stiff?
    How many snow days have you had? Our school has been closed today and Monday!

    ReplyDelete